Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CURLING THE NIGHT AWAY

Last Friday Jason and I went on a double date with one of my former roomies and her husband. Thanks to Denae, who knew about this fun activity, we were introduced to CURLING at the Olympic Oval. That's right...we went curling and it was a lot of fun. For those of you out there who think curling is a lame game of throwing a rock and sweeping the ice...you have much to learn! I discovered that curling is a game of strategy that involves much more skill and technique than you might think. Balance is especially important for sliding along the ice with one knee bent, one leg straight, one foot on a "slider", a broom in one hand and releasing the stone with the other hand. Yeah...I ended up with my butt on the ice more than I'd like to admit! :-) And the sweeping...well lets just say I felt out of shape after sweeping the ice a bunch that night. We had a great time and would love to do it again. For those of you who want to try something new, head to the Olympic Oval and GET YOUR CURL ON! You won't regret it!

Here's Jeremy practicing his form and technique for releasing the stone

Here's Jason practicing. The black thingy behind his foot is called 'the hack'. You set one foot in there and use it to push off and slide across the ice.

Denae in action...look at her curl!

Sweep men...sweep like you've never swept before!

Jason curling with Denae and Jeremy on the sides ready to come in and start sweeping his stone down to the target

The curling clan

Here we are at the end of the night with our teacher. Thanks Tim for teaching us how to get our curl on!

1 comment: