Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Life for the Carlson's has been great. We had a wonderful Christmas and were spoiled rotten. We spent time with family and friends and the holidays came and went way too fast. So far 2010 has been busy but great. The last 2 weeks Jason has been in a wilderness first responder class at the U. He'd get up early for work then go to his class and not get home until 10:30 or 11:00ish, then get up and do it all over again. We hardly saw each other. Often times after I got off work I'd meet him in the parking lot so we could see each other and talk a bit before his class. Then all day Saturday he was in class too. I sure missed him but it was a great opportunity for him. I'm really proud of him as well. His class taught some pretty in depth stuff...cardiac tamponade, heart attacks, diabetic ketoacidosis, compensated vs. uncompensated shock, tension pneumothorax to name a few. These are things I learned about in nursing school. Keep in mind that before I went to nursing school I took medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, etc. Medicine and the medical world is it's own language so the fact that Jason hit the class hard and learned these difficult subjects without any preparatory classes speaks volumes of his desire to learn. He took the class to become certified so he can join the search and rescue team in Salt Lake County. Now that he's done with the class he'll apply to the Salt Lake County Sheriff's office and wait. He has a few contacts of people who are on search and rescue so hopefully they have an opening and they can help Jas join the crew. We laugh a little bit because I HATED taking call with my last job. I didn't like being called to the hospital at 2:00 in the morning...but this is what Jason wants. Search and rescue is 100% volunteer. He'd carry around a pager and get paged whenever they need help on rescue missions for stranded hikers, injured bikers, fallen rock climbers and all the ways people need help out in the wilderness.
My new class isn't nearly as impressive and ambitious as Jason's...but I have started a new class as well. YOGA! I have such a hard time exercising in the winter. I can't seem to get my behind out of my nice warm bed in the morning and by the time I'm done at work and get home and eat I just want to relax and be lazy. Besides when it's dark and cold outside I just don't want to leave my nice warm home. So something needed to be done...hence signing up for a class that would force me to get out. I was surprised at how relaxing it was....AND at how sore I was afterwards. Boy am I out of shape! Hopefully this will help tone and strengthen my weakened winter muscles!

4 comments:

  1. Yoga!!!.....yoga do it!! Get it? Oh Melissa you're so great! I love your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you two! That is really cool about the Search and Rescue thing, sounds like a very manly thing to do. ;)

    You are awesome. Yoga does kick butt! I've only done one real yoga class and I felt so stupid the whole time because everything seemed so easy. Boy did I eat it the next day, muscles I didn't even know I had were sore the next day. I need to sign up for a class or something... my winter muscles are still hashed from LAST winter...

    Keep up the fun posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard Yoga does wonders! I will have to try it after the baby comes! Good luck with the class! That is awesome about the Search and Rescue thing too. I'm glad you guys are doing so good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone willing to learn and keep up with the search and rescue skills and demands impresses me and humbles me as well. My bro-in-law is so awesome in this regard. He went out on the Thanksgiving nutty putty cave accident where a man got stuck. Yep, he missed part of thanksgiving VOLUNTARILY and WILLINGLY to help another. That case didn't end as anyone wanted. He had to deal with the emotions of that situation as he does with all of the emotions that come with his calls. He's done everything from fires to avalanche recovery. Many of his calls are dangerous, not comfortable- as in cold, outside, etc. Often he is fighting to save lives potentially putting himself into danger. (That's why they train so much. It is such a sacrifice and admirable thing in my book to be part of a search and rescue team! Go Jason! The family who lets them do it is very unselfish as wellso go Melissa. Em has had to delay holiday celebrations and pass through some nights and days of worry when her hubby is out on call. It is taxing and stressful for all of the family, but the stories, lessons, and skills are a blessing. We love to hear our Jason's stories and advice and it gives an added sense of comfort to have him around especially when we are in the outdoors.
    I love YOGA too! I have the same winter problem. I just want to stay in bed so good for you!

    ReplyDelete