Monday, February 15, 2010
16 weeks and a growing belly
I'm happy to report I've finally gained a pound or two. My tummy kept getting bigger and bigger but my weight was staying the same...perplexing! But as of yesterday and today I have gained weight. As you can see, in just 2 weeks my little "baby bump" has grown quite a bit. At this stage the baby is very active, moving, stretching and even doing somersaults. I haven't felt a thing...or if I have I don't know it's the baby. My placenta is positioned anteriorly so my doctor said it may take longer for me to feel the baby moving around, but I should start feeling things at any time now. Our little one is about 4 inches and weighs 2 1/2 ounces. The lips and mouth are well formed. The mouth opens and closes as the baby swallows, yawns and even hiccups. The kidneys are working and making baby urine. The facial muscles are developed and our little one can frown and smile...although there is no control over facial expressions yet. The inner ear has been fully developed and able to hear sounds for about 2 weeks now. The diaphragm is developed and the baby moves amniotic fluid in and out of the lungs as it practices breathing movements. It is absolutely amazing to me to read about all that has happened and is happening inside my body. It is amazing to think about this little body growing and developing inside me so rapidly. Although I'm not feeling anything, it's good to remind myself where much of my energy is going. I've been surprised that this early in my pregnancy I've felt my endurance and stamina drop. Even without a big belly pushing up on my lungs I get winded by the time I walk the 4 flights of stairs to work! But I guess that extra blood supply my heart has to pump has quite a bit to do with it...so I'll keep telling myself that I'm not that out of shape!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So excited for you both! You have a pretty cute little tummy there Melissa!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I love the pics! I didn't start to gain weight until 4 or 5 months too. Yeah baby bump!
ReplyDeletesuper exciting!
ReplyDeleteCute!! Yeah for baby bumps!!
ReplyDelete