IT'S A GIRL!!!! We had our 20 week ultra sound on Thursday and found out the wee one everyone thought was a boy is in fact a cute little girl. We were a bit surprised but we're super excited to welcome this little one into our home. For quite a while we've had a girl name all picked out (one reason we thought we'd have a boy...Murphy's Law) so we already know what we're naming her. Ellie Bryn Carlson is growing right on schedule, everything looks healthy and great and she'll be here the end of July. I was the most emotional I've ever been during pregnancy on Thursday. To not only find out the little life growing inside me is a girl, but to be able to give her a name made everything seem so much more real to me. I now think about ELLIE...her personality, what she'll look like, etc. rather than the baby. Jason and I may be in for it. During our ultra sound little Ellie was wiggling all over the place! When the sonographer was trying to look at one of her arms she was chasing her around...from one side of my abdomen to the other! She said to us, "you guys are in for it!" I've felt a few things here and there, but to see how much she wiggles surprises me that I don't feel more. My placenta is still anterior so there is an extra layer for Ellie to push through. I'm sure it won't be too much longer before I feel all those kicks, stretches, pushes, etc.
My belly has grow quite a bit these last few weeks. I definitely look pregnant now, rather than chubby. Little Ellie is almost 10 inches long and weighs about 9 ounces. I still feel great. Every now and again my back hurts or my feet hurt (after working all day) but other than that I have felt so good. I am SOOOOO lucky! HALF WAY THERE!!!
On a completely different note...there is something about being pregnant that has really made me think about life; the challenges we go through, things we have to overcome, the good things and the bad things. Sometimes I get so scared about what life has in store for us. And even more sobering is to think about being a parent and HOW I'm going to teach our children all they need to know. There is so much about life that is "unfair". Lately I've felt like not being able to live the kind of life one wants is one of the hardest things. There is a patient at the hospital who I really admire. He is in his early 20's battling leukemia. I think about his situation...he should be in school, he should be working and learning to prepare for his future. Yet his life has been put 'on hold'. He just got engaged...yet they don't know when they'll get married because he is scheduled to have a bone marrow transplant the end of this month. With that transplant there is so much uncertainty. Will it work? Will he survive? How long will he be in the hospital? Will he live with a long list of side effect? Will he and his fiance be able to choose a day to get married. Will they be able to have kids? Most of the patients we treat are not given time to have eggs or sperm banked before starting therapy. This thought alone makes me admire my patients fiance so much. With so many questions about therapy, transplant, having children....leading a "normal" life, I know she must love him so much and have an amazing amount of courage. One could easily assume that she has put her life 'on hold' as well. But maybe the lesson they teach me is that life doesn't have to be put 'on hold'. I think they have a greater perspective than I do. I think they know that just because life doesn't turn out the way you planned or the way you want...it doesn't mean you can't make the most out of it. They are thriving in the situation they've found themselves in, and that is most impressive to me. I hope I can be that kind of person and teach my kids that attitude and perspective.
I was definitely surprised you were having a girl. Those Deweys and their girls! I love the name...it rhymes with mine! Our first US was amazing as well. I will never forget that moment the babies showed up on the screen. Even if there had just been one, it still would have been way cool. Before that it wasn't quite real. Your little belly is cute too. I'm so excited for you guys!
ReplyDeleteI feel like that patient a lot of the time. There are so many things I want to do but I can't. Luckily we talked mom and dad in to me getting married but other than that I haven't been able to do much. I know if I ever have biological children they will struggle too and I think that will be harder than myself going through it.
ReplyDeleteOh Melissa, I am so excited to meet little Ellie one day. She is going to be precious (even if she wiggles all over).
ReplyDeleteWith Abby my placenta was anterior too and it seemed to take forever for me to be able to feel her. But it is definitely worth the wait. I always found it so reassuring to feel her move and know she was still fine. Give yourself a couple of weeks and I am sure you will feel EVERYTHING!
You are darling and are going to be an amazing mother!
Yahoo! Pictures! I don't get to see you so I LOVE it when you post! CONGRTATS again. I am so excited for little Ellie. Lu and I wrote Lucy, Libby and Ellie all over the shower walls the other night when she was taking a bath. (She has bath crayons) It was so cute to see those names together. I love Ellie's whole name. Is her middle after anyone? It's all too cute! Can't wait to see you this weekend. Remember Lu's birthday lunch this Sat. I'll send out an e-mail.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I am so excited for you!!! Little girls are so fun!! I love that name, so cute! I remember it was almost a sense of releif when we named Jaycee! It made it real and I think really helped our bonding! I am so glad you are feeling so good! I would wish that for everyone! There is someone in my parents ward who has a similar story as your pateint. It amazes me the strength and love that they have! Yet they continue in faith! It humbles me that the Lord has given us an amazing plan that we can be with those we love forever! That never meant so much as it does to me now! I am truly grateful for the trust the Lord has in me that he would send this amazing spirit to me to raise in His way! I am so excited for you to be a mom! You will be an amazing mom!
ReplyDeleteYEAH! We are so excited for you. You look adorable.
ReplyDeleteSooo excited about our little Ellie...I'm so glad to know you're feeling well. You and Jas will make awesome parents...love you...NANA
ReplyDeleteI think I have already said this, but I LOVE her name. You make pregnancy look SO darling Melissa. Seriously. :) And I love your long hair! Keep us posted!!
ReplyDelete