Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reflections on becoming a parent

Jason's grandma died several weeks ago. While we were walking to the grave side a head stone caught my eye. It was of a little boy who was only about 1 when he died. I thought to myself how hard that must be to have a child die, but kept on walking and didn't give much more thought to it. After the grave side services we were heading back toward the car. I noticed a mom at the same headstone I saw on our way in. I watched her very closely and I was touched by her actions. She was very lovingly and very meticulously cleaning and polishing her child's headstone...down to every letter and crevice. There was such a reverence about her. It made me feel as if we were intruding on a very private and special moment. My description can't do justice for what I observed. It brought me to tears watching her. I could see the love she had for her child in her actions and I wanted to grieve with her for her loss. Being pregnant and being a nurse I always find myself thinking about scenarios that could happen and wonder how I would handle them. From a still birth to having a child with cancer I've thought about all the curve balls life could throw at me...and it scares me to think of what could happen. A couple weeks ago in church one of our ward members shared something that touched me and I've been thinking about ever since. He described reading a talk from Elder Oaks that mentioned a story about a family who had experienced the death of a child. At the funeral the father stated that his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ wasn't based on outcomes. I was very touched by that, especially in light of him loosing a child. I don't know what the future holds for Jason and me as we begin our journey through parenthood, but I hope that I can be like that father, firm in my beliefs and full of faith despite difficult circumstances.

5 comments:

  1. that is heartbreaking, I think I would die if something happened to Halle! You are so right though, you just have to have faith and trust in the Lord to help you through anything that comes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to learn you can't worry about the future and I used to do it all the time. You just have to take what comes to you and like you said have be firmly rooted in your faith and testimony and you'll be ok. It will most likely be hard, but you will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that last part about testimonies not built on outcomes... I definitely get angry when things don't happen the way I want, or at all, so that is a great reminder to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you have a blog so I can keep up with what is happening! I am always drawn to headstones of children, and I really don't know why so I think I would cry too if I saw a mother taking care of her baby's grave. It is hard to remember that our testimonies are not based on outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I LOVED that talk and quote too! It spoke to my soul- I worry about all of "those things" out in the world I see or hear about happening to others. It scares the daylights out of me to think about what life can throw at a person. That talk and your post are good motivators and reminders about what is important and where our focus needs to lie.

    ReplyDelete