Thursday, June 24, 2010

RAGNAR RELAY

Last weekend Jason ran in the Wasatch Back Ragnar relay. Jason has never been "a runner" or even liked running. He stays active, plays sports, works out and is in shape but had never ran in a race before. This relay sounded fun and exciting to him so when he had the chance to join a team he didn't hesitate and he did AWESOME!!! It was so fun to watch him and cheer him on. It was also fun to watch and experience the atmosphere of the Ragnar. I had NO IDEA this relay was as popular as it is and that people get so into it. From running in costumes to decorating cars the participants were very creative and it was fun to just sit and watch the different teams. There were cars all decked out like parade floats and other cars that just had team names and themes written on the windows. The runners were the most fun to watch. I saw people running in wigs (had to be REALLY hot), tutus, speedos, matching tie dye out fits, roman war/battle gear, and camping gear. That's right...I said camping gear. I only saw the runner who was running inside a mini tent. Jason told me all the members of that particular team had some kind of outdoor gear they ran with; snow shoes on their back, an ice ax, skis and snow boots (the bottoms were cut out)...just crazy stuff. The other team I heard about but didn't have the pleasure of seeing was the team running in snuggies! One thing is for sure: costumes or not the team spirit was evident from everyone and that was fun to watch and feel. There was also an excitement from the locals who lived along the race route. I drove by several house where people were in their yards on lawn chairs watching and cheering as people ran by. I even saw a house that was offering free ice water and popsicles to the runners.
The teams consisted of 12 people. There were all male teams, all female teams, mixed teams (6 guys and 6 gals...the kind of team Jason ran with) and "ultra teams" of only 6 people. The race went from Logan to Park City and covered a total of 188 miles.

Here is the starting line in Logan. Jason ran leg 5 so he had several hours
from the start until he took off on foot.
Here's Jason at the exchange of his first run. His first leg was up Avon pass and UP it was.
7.4 miles on a dirt road with an elevation gain of 1200 feet.
There he goes...up, up and away.
Here he is about 1 mile into it. He started his run just before 3:00 in the afternoon and it was HOT! 80 + degrees!
His run was very scenic. However the heat and the DRY DIRT road made it very difficult. Every time a car drove by it kicked up a ton of dust so Jason felt like he was eating dirt his whole run.
Getting VERY, VERY HOT! WATER please! Jason used the water more to rinse the dirt out of his mouth and pour it on himself to cool off rather than drinking it.
Coming in for a high 5....one more mile to go!
Almost there....just keep running!
Here Jason is running toward the exchange. I took this picture after a car drove by. You can
see the dust cloud and kind of get an appreciation for all the dust Jason ate his entire run.
Coming into the exchange...first run is DONE!
Here we are at the end of Jason's first leg...and you can see the message Ellie had for Jason as we cheered him along on his run. Despite the heat and the dust he averaged 9 minute miles. WAY TO GO JASON!
Jason's second leg was just over 4 miles through Morgan. He started his second leg right about midnight. El and I weren't there for that one. Call us slackers but our preference was bed and sleep. We got up early Saturday morning to get ready to cheer him on during his last leg through Heber.

For day 2 and his last leg Jason wore a FANTASTIC shirt. Besides being florescent orange it says, "It's official, I'm AMAZING" The back of the shirt has the Curves logo on it! Jason got this shirt as a white elephant gift but was proud as ever to wear it during the run. As Jason was running he had someone drive by and yell, "GO CURVES!" His team was # 419 and the name they chose was Dodekatheon which is greek for '12 runners'. I wonder what Greek is for AMAZING?
Here's Jason at the exchange of his last run...ready for take off.
And here's my AMAZING man running through Heber City.
I was able to watch Jason run into his exchange and finish his leg but I wasn't fast enough to get out of the car and take pictures...so so sad. But he ran like a champ! He averaged 8 minute miles. Here he is stretching and cooling down after his great run. WAY TO GO LOVE!!! You did AWESOME and El and I are so proud of you.

Watching Jason and all the other runners really was a lot of fun. It made me want to run in the race if the opportunity presents itself. Jason said he would definitely do it again. Ragnar 2011???...we'll see.

6 comments:

  1. How AWESOME!!! Way to go Jason, and I think the Curves shirt was hilarious. :) And how cute you are to wear a sign for Ellie. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I've been wanting to do the Ragnar Relay, ever since one of my friends did it. Maybe next year when I'm back in shape!;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Jason!! I've always wanted to do that race, I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... I couldn't run to save my life... lol. Way to be J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aden really wants to run in this. My old Dental office had a time, but we weren't able to make it down. If Jason runs it next year, let us know because I am sure Aden (and maybe even me) would love to run in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say but, AMAZING! I loved Ellie's message to her daddy. From all the pics, the race does look awesome! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete