Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Catchin' up

I'm thinking a monthly post is a good goal for me. I truly am never on the computer anymore. I'm sure to some this seems ridiculous and like a lame excuse...after all it isn't that hard to hit 'power' and click on internet explorer. True...but for me it isn't a priority so I rarely get around to checking my e-mail let alone blogging. I hate using my 'dinosaur' of a computer. I prefer to use my hubby's mac. Unfortunately when he takes it to work all day a month passes before I get around to blogging. I prefer to spend time with him and El when he's home rather than using the WONDERFUL mac. Lucky for ya'll I have taken the dinosaur out this afternoon so here's my catching up.

AUGUST 31st- Date Night

Thanks to my mother in law Jason and I were able to go on 2 date nights while she was in town. Our first date night was a short trip to Frogurt for a tasty treat and then to Target for...DIAPERS! What a way to end the night! That's what happens to date night with a newborn.

I gave El a bottle for the first time August 25th and despite me worrying about nipple confusion and her A.) not breast feeding after a bottle or B.) not taking a bottle... she did GREAT. She did awesome with a bottle and still breast feed like a champ. With the bottle option available I was very ready to take hold of the freedom it allowed and get away from home longer than one hour and not have to worry about if she'd be starving without me around. So Jason and I headed out for a date night. We went to Boondocks and raced cars and played mini golf. It was so nice to spend time with my love...just the two of us. As much as I love Ellie and love to be with her, there is something special about just mom and dad time. Jason and I had a little bet on our mini golf game. I was leading the entire game until the last 2 holes when Jason passed me up and clinched the win by ONE stroke. His prize...a foot massage. After our fun night at Boondocks, date night wouldn't be complete without a trip to Maceys to get some groceries! (being parents sure changes date night).

To top off the night, which was already awesome, Ellie gave us a WONDERFUL surprise. She went to sleep just before 11:00. Around 3:30 she started her grunting, wiggling routine which lets us know she's ready to eat...only when I tried to feed her she was not interested. In fact she was fast asleep. So I put her back in her crib thinking she'd wake up in 30 or 60 minutes and want to eat...but I didn't hear from her until 6:00. That's right folks....SEVEN hours....YAHOO! We were feeling good the next day! :-)

That night was our turning point. From then on she started sleeping pretty well, usually going 6, 7 even 8 hours at night. She'd go down around 11 (after FIGHTING falling asleep) and get up between 5 and 6 to eat. Every once in a while she surprised us with a 2:00 or 3:00 feeding need, but that only happened a handful of times. She really is a good sleeper. My only problem now is I've been putting her to bed earlier, around 9 or 9:30 cause she's been eating earlier, which means she gets up around 4. I'm hoping to get her on a schedule of eating at 9ish, bed at 10ish and up to eat at 5 or 6ish. The funny thing is she knows our bed time routine and starts to cry when going to bed is inevitable. She eats, gets her bath then it's time for bed. She usually starts crying and fighting sleep when I'm lotioning her and putting her pj's on. Sometimes I get the lotion and pj's on before the tears come and she starts crying when I swaddle her. Either way I think it's hilarious that she knows it's bedtime and she starts to fight. For naps sometimes she falls right to sleep with no binky and no problems, other times she fights it. She only puts up a really big wailing-cry kind of fight when she's really tired.

2 MONTHS OLD

Ellie is 2 months old now and I can't believe how big she's getting. At 9 weeks she weighed 11 lbs 11oz and measured 23.5 inches. She will be 10 weeks on Thursday!!! She is giving me lots of smiles these days. I just have to catch her in the right moment and that moment never happens when I have the camera.

El is very curious and LOVES to look around at everything. One of my favorite things is what I call my "bobble head baby". After she eats and I put her over my shoulder to burp, rather than snuggling up and laying her head down she is up looking around. And in her efforts to resist burping and look around her head bobbles like a bobble head doll. I LOVE it! It makes me chuckle every time.

She is starting to make more noises, but again this is one of those things that I have to catch at the right moment and that moment is not when the camera is around. I LOVE to sit and "talk" to her and watch her imitate me. She'll stick her tongue out, open her mouth and get the sounds to come out like mom. I love her little sounds and can't wait for more or them.

Now....here's a bunch of random pics for your viewing pleasure.


Ellie meets the twins

SOOOOOOOO cute in my red shirt and little capris

I don't like tummy time...save me mom!
El has been doing really well with tummy time lately...this was just a fussy moment

Out at Silver Lake to see the beautiful fall leaves...my first time up the canyon OUTSIDE of the womb

"Not amused with the camera mom"

"Ok I'll be cute and give you a smile"

Battle wounds from my 2 month immunizations...I cried but only for a little bit. And mom was so brave and didn't even cry!

What a cutie!

Helping dad vacuum in the bjorn...I love the bjorn cause I can look around at everything



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't believe how big that cute little darling is getting! That is awesome that you've had TWO date nights! I can't remember when Ryan and I had our first date after Sarah was born... but I know it wasn't that early (Sarah would never take a bottle). I'm glad you guys are doing so well. I love posts like this, they are so fun to read, you'll really enjoy looking back on it and reading it later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a doll Melissa. Seriously so cute. That red outfit is adorable!!
    Caden took a bottle, but neither of my girls ever did. Kind of went crazy with Kinley, but I'm doing okay with Brooklyn. I just don't do a lot anymore but take Caden to Kindergarten and have date nights at home with the hubby most of the time. ;)
    I'm glad you are doing so good! I miss the newborn stage if you can believe that. My baby is 7 months old now! I can't believe how fast they grow!

    ReplyDelete