Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Remembering how to be a nurse

After 12 great weeks of being home with my little lady the time came to pull the scrubs out of the drawer and head back to the hospital. Going back to work involved many tears. I cried the night before...knowing I would miss a full day with my El. I cried in the morning as I looked at my sweet little girl laying in her crib so peacefully, knowing that she wouldn't wake up to me and I would miss her good morning smiles. I cried in the car driving to work. I cried when I got to work. FINALLY the tears stopped because I was busy trying to remember how to be a nurse. You wouldn't think that in 12 weeks you could forget how to do something you've done for so long but I'm here to tell you it's possible. I felt like such a moron the first day I went back to work. I felt so out of sorts and was definitely out of my groove. I was forgetful and quite honestly a moron trying to figure things out. Sending blood to the lab without any patient information on it, forgetting necessary paper work for chemotherapy, etc. And I was so SLOW at everything. It was a bit ridiculous. The following week day 2 back to work was better. I only cried when I left the house and I was more in my groove than week 1...but I was still a bit slow. Apparently the 3rd times the charm. Day 3 back to work and NO TEARS! (I'm so brave) I'm slowly getting back into my groove of being a nurse. It is hard to leave my little one. I miss her voice, eyes and smiles while I'm gone, but it's good to use my brain in a different way and get out of the house. As much as I love being a nurse... I love being a mom a million times more!

P.S THANKS mom for watching El and taking such good care of her while I'm at work! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember so well! Still there sometimes, esp when she's sick! How often are you working? Good luck and I bet they are glad you are back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa, you are such a sweetheart. I can just feel how much you love your sweet, sweet El! I can't wait to come and see you. Bring on December!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats at remembering how to be a nurse and surviving the return to work- it is soooo hard. I still have a hard time getting back into the nursing groove if I miss 2 or more shifts in a row.

    ReplyDelete