Monday, September 26, 2011

Summer of Races

Not only did summer race by for us, we did some racing of our own. It all started with an idea from Jason. "Lets run a half marathon together." Um yeah...I've never been "a runner", in fact I hate running, especially long distances. Plus I had a baby and hadn't been exercising so I was very much out of shape. I got on board with the idea and train we did. My training was a SLOW process. I believe I started training when Ellie was about 9 months old. I was still breastfeeding and I worried about loosing my milk. That was the least of my worries though. The first time I ran I could barely run a half a mile! I was seriously so out of shape it was ridiculous. My body was so weak. I needed more muscle. I felt like I had been eating enough calories while breastfeeding but I guess I wasn't. I lost a lot of weight and it was ALL my MUSCLE. As I started to train and could barely run I thought, "I'm never going to be able to run 13 miles!" That thought is where my battle began...the battle to believe that I CAN do things...even if they seem difficult. So to make a long story short I ran, built up some muscle, ran, SLOWLY got more distance, worked through some knee pain, ran and ran some more. I had my 'break through' about a week and a half before the race. When I put in 10 miles I was able to run the whole time (despite a little knee pain) and I finally thought, " I will be able to do this!" 

The race was originally scheduled for Memorial Day. 3 days before the race we found out they had to reschedule the race for the 4th of July. That was good news for me ( I needed more time to train) but bad news for Jason because he was going to be going on a very physically demanding canyoneering trip the weekend of the 4th and wouldn't be able to come home and run13 miles...or he could but it wouldn't be very smart. So we decided I would run by myself and Jason would cheer me on. The morning of the 4th came and it was time for my solo run in the Capitol Hill Half Marathon. It really was a nice course...street and trail running...very scenic. It started on Wasatch Blvd, went along Foothill, up behind the U, down the avenues and ending at The Capitol. 


getting ready for the race to start
about mile 5....feeling pretty good, hence the cheesy grin on my face
mile 10....feeling pretty spent (note the absence of a cheesy grin) 
Coming to the finish line
13.1 miles and FINISHED! Wahoo...what an accomplishment!
Now give me LIQUID and CALORIES! 



I was SLOW but I did it. I never got my actual time but it was around 2 hours and 30 minutes. I felt pretty good for most of the race. I had some knee pain at about mile 7 and had to walk a bit. I also walked down a pretty steep section coming off the Bonneville Shoreline Trail that. The greatest accomplishment for me was not the physical aspect of running 13.1 miles, but the emotional journey training and racing took me on. I cycled through hope, want and belief that I MAYBE could run a half marathon. I struggled through some...well MOST parts of training and sometimes really doubted I'd be able to do it. Finally I transitioned to realizing and knowing that I can do difficult things in life...and I did accomplish something that seemed so out of reach for me. That lesson will transfer to all areas of my life and give me a boost and courage to do difficult things when I think that I can't.

August 26th we headed up to Bear Lake for the next big race...Jason's FIRST triathlon...The Bear Lake Brawl. It was such a fun thing to watch him compete in. Seeing him do such a great job was motivational and really inspiring for me. There was a 76 year old guys who competed and finished in good time...I think his time was an hour and 50 minutes...right around there. AMAZING for 70+ years!  Now I have a goal to complete a triathalon one day.

The morning of the race...getting set up at the transition area. 

Sunrise at Bear Lake...the first wave of swimmers(those doing a half iron man) getting ready to go.
Watching the other athletes and getting ready for his turn

The night before the race we checked Jason in and got his packet. During that process he was branded with his age, the type of triathlon (distances) and his bib number. S is for "sprint" which equals a half a mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 5 K run. 32 is his age. Both of his arms displayed his bib number 1684



In the water getting ready to go

And they're off! Jason told me he would probably do the swim in 20-25 minutes and be in the middle of the pack. I thought that maybe with my zoom lens I could keep track of him but there was no way to do that. All the swimmers look alike in the water. As the first swimmers started to come out of the water I started to look toward the middle to try and spot Jason. After about 30 minutes and never seeing him I decided that somehow I must have missed him. I ran to the transition area hoping to see him getting on his bike but his bike was gone. Turns out he completed the swim in 16 minutes! He was one of the first out of the water. So much for being in the middle of the pack! I was SOOOOOOOOOOO SAD I missed him finishing the swim and didn't get any pics of him coming out of the water. 


Luckily I caught him at the end of his bike ride. 
Then I waited at the finish line for him to come running in. 
And run he did. This guy behind him in the flaming shorts tried to catch up to him but couldn't! 


Crossing the finish line...way to go Jas!
Finished and feeling good.




Jason finished 7th in his age group with a time of 1 hour and 28 minutes....AWESOME for his first triathlon. He missed receiving a medal by 3 minutes. He said had he known he was doing so well he would have pushed his bike ride to make up time. Even though he didn't come home with a medal he did so well and is a true CHAMPION! I'm so proud of him! 



After the race it was time for burgers and famous Bear Lake RASPBERRY SHAKES! Mmmmmmmmmmm good! We LOVE ice cream! 
Way to go Jason! You're amazing!!! 

Jason and I still want to run a half marathon together so now we're training for the Halloween Half!! Yes, we are probably a little CRAZY! 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Melissa!!! I'm super impressed with your run. Hopefully I'll be posting things like this again next spring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! That is awesome that you did a half marathon. Aden and I did one last year and I think I'd do it this year again if I could. A halloween one will be fun! That triathlon looks awesome. Makes me want to get back into running next summer! Where does your knee hurt? Mine hurts right under the knee cap and I found that if I wear pressure bands under my knees when I run it makes the pain go completely away. Not sure if you have different knee problems...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa! You are so amazing! That is a HUGE accomplishment. And way to go Jason as well!

    ReplyDelete