Wednesday, November 11, 2009

SLOTS...and I'm not talking Vegas

Last weekend we headed down south for some good fun canyoneering. We were just outside of Capitol Reef National Park in a canyon named Pandora's Box. It was the skinniest canyon I've ever been in. There are parts so narrow that I could squeeze through. We had to climb above the skinny parts and work our way across. It was a beautiful canyon and the pics just don't do it justice! The hike out is another story... It kicked my trash! We had to scramble up a steep BEAST of a mountain with no trail. It was exhausting for me...cause I'm a wimp and lack muscle. There were areas where I had people boosting me from below and Jason pulling me up from above. I honestly don't think I wouldn't have made it out if I was by myself! Even though the hike our was a bear I'm so glad I went. This world is beautiful and I love to explore it!

Good old GPS...we wouldn't have found the canyon without it

Jason rappeling

getting pretty tight

Canyoneering is a very fashionable sport ;-)

"how do I get down again?"





Jason starting the last rappel...150 feet down

The last rappel

A rule of canyoneering: what rappels down, must generally go back up.
And here is the MONSTER we had to climb up to get back to the car.
Jason is holding a pic of "the exit" to make sure we found the right spot.

Almost to the top...I will SURVIVE!
(I was singing that song in my head to keep me going)

3 comments:

  1. Sure looks fun! I am like you...I LOVE RAPPELLING but I hate rock climbing. Probably because my arms are the weakest thing on my body so I am crappy at it...but still. Dropping is better than climbing/hiking. Glad you made it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow Melissa! You do some awesome stuff!:) You took some beautiful pictures as well. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are officially a blogger now so we can read about all of your world adventures! Looks like you have had a fantastic time traveling this year. Keep those blog posts a comin' :)

    ReplyDelete