Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A FANTASTIC surprise

You may remember my 30 week post talked about not having a crib. Don't worry...we finally got one. We actually got Ellie's crib about a month ago...I just haven't posted for a while. We ordered it online with a site to store delivery. Once we finally ordered it we were so excited and couldn't wait to get it and have it all ready for El. I ordered it through my account so all the e-mails stating the crib had shipped, was ready for pick up etc. came to me. On the day that it arrived at the store and was ready for pick up I told Jason it had arrived and we could pick it up. I assumed we would go pick it up later that night or the next day. I thought I was the only one who got the e-mail and could print off the necessary paper work to pick it up but I was wrong!! I left work and went to water aerobics. When I got home everything was normal. We ate dinner and just did stuff downstairs. Jason was so cool and collected too. He didn't give me any indication that he had been up to something. He was so good at not trying to get me to go upstairs. When I FINALLY wet upstairs I only had to take one step into the extra bedroom before I saw A CRIB all set up and ready for Ellie. It was the greatest surprise. It brought me to tears to see a crib in our house! It made things so much more real. Jason had even laid a little onesie in the crib so it was easier to imagine our little girl sleeping in her crib!

I had to wait for my first shower before we started getting the bedding. My mom made the CUTEST quilt for Ellie. She even machine quilted it herself! What a talented grandma Ellie has! I know I just over analyzed this and thought about it way too much, but I went back and forth on the bumper pad issue for a long time. The american academy of pediatrics and all other kinds of pediatric organizations advise against them because of the increased risk of SIDS. But plenty of cribs have bumper pads and no babies with SIDS. Then there is the issue of their little arms and legs getting stuck. Yet I've been told extremities get stuck even with bumper pads. So I just decided to forgo the bumpers...no cute crib bumpers. Perhaps if I had more time I'd make some...but my project to focus on before she gets here is a crib skirt. I do want that to dress up the crib and provide some hiding so I can utilize under the crib for storage. I'm going to make the crib skirt out of the striped fabric. Hopefully I get it done sooner than later! (pics to come when I get it made)

Disclaimer...if you're expecting super cute nursery pictures you will be disappointed. We only have one extra bedroom and didn't want to get rid of our extra bed so Ellie's "nursery" is also a guest bedroom. I LOVE her crib and I LOVE her quilt. THANKS again mom!




8 comments:

  1. Your super welcome!! Anything for a precious
    GRANDchild!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe I LOVE it! If Abby had her own room, I think these would be the colors I would use. I just love it! Very impressed by your mom's quilting skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt. Can't wait to see the bumper. So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I la-la-la LOVE your quilt for Ellie. I love quilts and I love the colors you picked out for her. And how sweet is your husband to surprise you with the crib all set up? It's beautiful!! I feel the same way about bumpers. I have one, but she won't even sleep in her room for a long time. She is in a little cradle by our bed. You are getting SO CLOSE!!! I am so excited for you and Jason. You guys will be such wonderful, sweet parents!! You never know Moo-Moo, you might have her sooner!!! I can't wait to see pictures of her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a gorgeous crib and quilt! That is the sweetest story, what a fun surprise! I had to BEG Dustin to put our crib together, it would have been much more fun to have been surprised! you are getting so close!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Very talented mother. And I'm glad you are going with the bumper... I've tried it wthout and had bad luck with babies waking up with their legs stuck. You are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom did an amazing job on Ellie's baby quilt. Love it! Can't wait for her to get here!!

    ReplyDelete